Sunday, June 10, 2012

Prettying-it-up: the walk-by basin

Mumbai homes are pretty cramped and almost everything has a 2-in-1 function.
I've lived most of my life up north and I wasn't too happy to note that my new home had a wash basin in my corridor! That's a 2-in-1 I wasn't too pleased with.


It just looked like you were walking through a bathroom to get to the rest of the house.






Having just moved in, remodeling the house was really not part of my budget so I decided to head to the nearby Home Town store for some inspiration.


I spent a little over 600 rupees [$10] and bought myself this lovely oval mirror framed in a beautiful rustic wood frame.


I especially chose this one because it's rustic feel meant that I could get away with a little bit of dust that would eventually settle on it. (for everyone living in India, I feel your pain. Dust is *not* a sign of our laziness but simply a reality we must deal with every single day!)




The task of hanging the mirror was palmed off to the husband who did a fabulous job in spite of the thick POP our walls are laden with.




The mirror really did make the basin look at least a little less clinical.
But I wasn't too happy about the naked CFL up top but there wasn't enough room for a nice shade.


I dug out my diwali lights from last year and decided to encircle the mirror with them.




Not a very professional job, but hey I still think it's a big improvement on what I started with! :)



Drop me a line if you have any ideas for me or want to share your before and afters!






5 comments:

  1. Yup... The twinkling lights make a biiig difference! Haveyou considered adding a plant to the area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Yes in fact i put up a plant as the first thing to pretty it up but i managed to kill it in a week. flat. :|

      Delete
  2. :) Maybe it didn't get any sunlight. Not your fault. I tell myself that coz I have a black thumb. But we must keep trying, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After killing 8-9 plants (or more) I figured I should stop before someone tags me a serial killer :D

      Delete
  3. I know just what you mean... I'm on the 'Most wnated' list of plant criminals. And am still watering my dead plants in the hope that some miracle will revive them...
    But i can say that money plants & cactii are more torelant & forgiving.... They haven't given up on me yet!

    ReplyDelete